On-campus housing offers a variety of residence hall options ranging from the traditional (a shared double or triple room with a shared bathroom down the hall) to suites (multiple rooms sharing a bathroom) and apartments.

Undergraduate students at Catholic University live in single sex residence halls. Coupled with programs directed toward student's personal, spiritual, and moral development, single sex housing fosters an environment of virtuous living consistent with the Catholic intellectual tradition. With a variety of residential buildings available, on-campus living can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience during your entire academic career at Catholic University.

  • Who is eligible to live on campus?

    The University policy on housing eligibility is available here. Generally, in order to live in on-campus housing, individuals must be current undergraduate, Catholic University degree-seeking students who have full-time undergraduate enrollment with the University. University standards for full-time status are outlined in the Academic Announcements publications. A student whose course load falls below full-time status should petition Housing Services for permission to remain a residential student. Exceptions may be granted on a space-available basis.
  • Are students required to live on campus?

    Catholic University recognizes the benefits on-campus living has to offer to our students in terms of academic success, personal development, and involvement within the campus community. As such, Catholic University requires all freshman, sophomore, and junior year students to live in on-campus housing. 
  • Is housing guaranteed for 4 years for undergraduate students?

    Each year Housing Services reviews the demand for campus housing and initiates plans accordingly. During the spring semester, a lottery is conducted where interested students who do not fall within the Student Housing Policy may select housing from available rooms for the next academic year. While not all students are required to live on-campus, space is generally available for students who do not fall within the Student Housing Policy who follow application deadlines and are flexible in their housing choices. Housing Services also offers guidance to students seeking off-campus residence. Please refer to the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page for more information.
  • Is housing available for graduate, law, and non-traditional students?

    On-campus housing for graduate, law, and non-traditional students will be provided on a case-by-case basis upon subject to the availability for suitable housing as determined by the University. Non-traditional student status is defined in the University’s Student Housing Policy. The Office of Housing Services also offers guidance and support to graduate, law, and non-traditional students seeking off-campus residence.
  • Is there religiously affiliated housing available on-campus?

    A small number of spaces are available for Priests in Curley Hall. The spaces are provided on a first-come first-served basis following an interview process. Those interested in religious housing on campus should contact Father Raymond Studzinski at studzinski@cua.edu to inquire about availability.
  • What is the standard furniture in student rooms?

    A standard room contains a bed (all beds are extra-long twin size), desk, desk chair, dresser, and wardrobe or closet, and one ethernet connection per person. One cable connection is provided per bedroom except in the Millenniums where it is one cable connection per suite or apartment. A bed is 30" high, so that storage containers, including most dressers, may be stored under the bed. Apartments may have additional furniture for use in the shared space, as appropriate. University-issued furniture that is assigned to a room must remain in the room, regardless of the other furniture a student may add to the room. In addition, common area furniture may not be moved to or kept in individual student rooms, so that all students may utilize the common areas.

    Broken or damaged furniture should remain in the room until a Housing Services staff member has identified the problem and either repaired or replaced the item. Requests for repairs to furniture or to the televisions and game tables located in lounges can be submitted via an online form, via email at CUA-housing@cua.edu.  When sending repair requests, it is important to provide detailed information so the responding staff member is fully prepared to address the problem. Based on the nature of the request, a staff member will generally respond within a few business days.