Residents should review the important dates listed below as they confirm their travel arrangements for the winter break period.
The residence halls will close on Sunday, December 15th at 12:00 p.m. and re-open on Saturday, January 11th at 12:00 p.m. Residents will not be able to enter the residence halls during the winter break period.
|November 15||Cancellation Requests due for Graduating and Study Abroad students|
|December 15||Residence halls close at noon for all residents.|
|January 11||Halls open at noon. Check-in for new residents will take place in the Residence Hall Offices.|
|May 10||Residence Halls Close at Noon for Non-graduating Residents.|
Students who wish to submit a request for Fall 2019 Late Stay or Spring 2020 Early Arrival approval must submit the online request form. Please review on the information on the Extended Stay webpage before submitting the form.
If you are a resident returning to housing in the spring semester, you should complete the Resident Checkout Sheet attached to your door. RAs will be placing the Resident Checkout Sheet on your door in early December. Please remember to take any items you may need (i.e. medications, passport, etc) with you as you will not have access to your room or building over the winter break period. Please do the following to close your room for the break:
- Unplug all personal appliances.
- Defrost, empty, and unplug personal refrigerators.
- Clean your room.
- Empty the trash.
- Turn off faucets.
- Close and lock all doors and windows.
- Turn off lights.
- Turn down the heat to 55 degrees or a low setting (where applicable).
- Claim any personal items left in the laundry room and common refrigerators.
- Report all maintenance, pest, and kitchen appliance requests to FMO at http://facilitiesmaintenance.cua.edu.
- Report all ethernet and cable requests to ResNet at http://TechSupport.cua.edu.
- Report all furniture requests to Housing Services.
- If there is a vacancy in your room or apartment, please make sure the space is ready for a new resident to move in. There should be an empty bed, dresser, desk, desk chair and closet or wardrobe available for that person. Housing Services will be making assignments over the Christmas Break and will consider all vacancies.
If you are checking out of housing, you will need to meet with your Resident Assistant (RA) to complete your Room Condition Report (RCR) and turn in your keys. Please remember that your check-out is not complete until you return your keys to your RHO. Students not returning to housing for the Spring semester should also contact their academic dean and the Office of the Dean of Students.
Power Outages During the Break
Annually, during the break period while the residence halls are closed, Pepco does electrical voltage testing. During the test, residential buildings can experience power outages in accordance with Pepco's annual high voltage testing and maintenance procedures. All outages are momentary and generally take place on scheduled dates and times. If your residence hall will experience a scheduled outage, you will be notified via email if you have an approved late stay or early arrival during that time.