• Abandoned Property

    Students who withdraw or take leave from the University during the academic year must remove personal belongings by no later than the scheduled check-out date from their residence hall. In addition, students who are not contracted for summer housing may not leave personal possessions in the halls during the summer. Items left after the scheduled check-out date or items improperly stored in common spaces will be deemed abandoned and may be discarded by the University. Students may be charged for the removal of such property

  • Agreement Acceptance and Adherence

    All students living on campus must accept the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement. For all students this is included in the housing application process. Students should Apply for Housing online in Cardinal Students and submit an electronic signature.

  • Appliances in Rooms

    Depending on the room type, some units contain kitchen facilities. These apartment kitchens typically consist of a stove/oven and a full size refrigerator. In all residential rooms personal appliances are permitted as long as they meet the following guidelines:

    One refrigerator and one microwave are permitted per room, with the exception of the MiniFridge with Microwave unit provided through the University.  The University provides one minifridge with microwave unit per room; except in the apartment-style units located in Millennium North and Millennium South. 

    Microwaves: Personal microwaves should be no larger than 700 Watts.

    Refrigerators: Personal refrigerators should be no larger than 3.6 Cubic Feet.

    Personal appliances must be removed from the residence hall when a student checks-out. Please refer to the prohibited items list under the Safety Responsibilities Policy (see below) for more information regarding appliances in the residence halls.

  • Applications for On-Campus Housing

    New undergraduate students receive housing information and application materials from the Office of Admission once they have submitted their enrollment deposit. This information details the procedures to follow when applying for on-campus housing. Housing space is only guaranteed per the University Student Housing Policy for new students who are required to live in housing and adhere to established application timelines and procedures. 

    Continuing undergraduate students wishing to apply for housing for the next academic year participate in the Room Selection process held during the spring semester.  Any student wishing to secure housing for the next academic year must submit a completed Room Selection Application. In addition, students wishing to participate in Room Selection must be in good academic, financial, and disciplinary standing with the University and anticipate enrollment as a full-time undergraduate student. Students who are not in good standing with the University, are on academic leave/term withdraw, or do not anticipate full-time undergraduate enrollment may not be able to fully participate in the room selection process. Housing space is only guaranteed per the University Student Housing Policy for students who are required to live in housing and adhere to established application timelines and procedures. 

    Continuing undergraduate students who did not participate in the room selection process may submit a Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement at anytime by contacting Housing Services. Due to space constraints, Housing Services is not able to guarantee that space will be available. 

    Graduate, Law, and Non-traditional students wishing to apply for housing for the next academic year should submit the Waitlist Application in MyHousing once available. On-campus housing is generally not available for graduate, law, and non-traditional students but may be provided on a case-by-case basis subject to availability of suitable housing as determined by the University. 

  • Assignments and Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

    Students who may need a specific type of room to accommodate a disability are required to complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form with Disability Support Services in accordance with established application timelines and procedures. Generally, housing accommodations are based on information shared via the request, documentation provided to Disability Support Services, and the availability of appropriate space. More information regarding housing accommodations is available on the Disability Support Services website (dss.catholic.edu). 

  • Billing and Charges

    Housing Services makes every effort to ensure that charges for room rent, dining plans, damages, and miscellaneous services are assessed to student accounts in a timely manner. Omissions and errors in billing are not grounds for dismissal of charges.

    In the event that charges have been inaccurately posted and/or are missing from a students' billing record, students should promptly notify Housing Services so the discrepancy can be reviewed and corrected. Refunds of room, board, and miscellaneous services will be made as published in the University policy on Refund of Student Charges (an explanation of the refund policy can be found on the policies website).

    The University's Statement of Financial Responsibility provides additional information regarding billing and charges and student responsibilities.

  • Cancellation of Housing

    Any student wishing to request cancellation of the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement  must submit a Housing Cancellation Request to Housing Services. Cancellations will not be deemed effective until officially approved. Vacating the premises and/or non-occupation of an assigned space does not release the student from contractual obligations contained in the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement. Refunds of room charges will be made according to the University policy on Refund of Student Charges unless otherwise stated below. Requests will be reviewed as follows.

    1. Cancellation of Housing: Requests for cancellation are considered for the following reasons. If approved, the agreement will be cancelled and the student will be charged a $500 housing cancellation fee.
      1. Withdrawal from the University after the student has officially withdrawn from the University with the appropriate written notification and approval as required by the University.
      2. Academic Leave from the University after the student has completed the appropriate written notification and approval as required by the University.
      3. Marriage, after such marriage has taken place and legal verification has been supplied to Housing Services.
    2. Cancellation of Housing for Special Circumstances: Students may also request cancellation of their agreements in the following situations. In these cases, if approved, the students will be released from their Agreement without being assessed a cancellation fee.
      1. A Student will be released from the Agreement at the end of the fall semester if requirements for graduation have been completed and the Housing Cancellation Request is received by Housing Services prior to November 15th.
      2. A Student will be released from the Agreement at the end of the fall semester if the student is working on a University-approved study abroad program and the Housing Cancellation Request is received by Housing Services prior to November 15th.
      3. A student will be released from the Agreement if they are called to active military duty as long as the student submits a Housing Cancellation Request and a copy of their military orders. In this instance only, refunds of room charges will be made on a per diem basis.
    3. Cancellation of Housing due to No Show: In the event that a student does not arrive to check-in to their on-campus assignment by 5 p.m. on the third day of classes and advance permission for an extension has not been granted in writing by Housing Services, the following will occur:
      1. If a student has a signed Agreement on file and enrolls in classes, the student will be held responsible for fulfilling the Agreement, including full payment of room charges, and a space will be reserved for the student on campus.
      2. If a student has a signed Agreement on file, but does not enroll in classes, the Agreement will be cancelled, the student will be charged a $500 housing cancellation fee, and the student will be responsible for paying room rent charges equal to one week (seven nights) of occupancy.
    4. Cancellation of Housing for Other Reasons: For reasons other than those listed above, the student must be able to demonstrate that a significant, uncontrollable, and unforeseen change has occurred since the time that the Agreement was signed, that now requires release from the Agreement. Verifiable third party documentation that supports the request must be provided at the time the request is made. In these cases, if cancellation is approved, the agreement will be cancelled and the student will be charged a Housing Cancellation Fee of $1,000.
  • Check In and Out Procedures

    During the initial fall check-in process in August, students should report to their assigned check-in locations where keys and other check-in materials will be available. Upon check-in, students are required to complete a Room Condition Report for the space in which they will be residing. Failure to check-in by 5 p.m. on the student's first day of classes could result in assignment of the room to another student, unless advance permission for an extension is granted in writing by Housing Services.  Individuals who have not checked into the residence halls by 5 p.m. on the third day of classes may have their housing cancelled in accordance with the Cancellation of Housing Policy. 

    During the academic year, students checking into a new assignment will receive check-in information and procedures specific to their situation from Housing Services. Housing Services is unable to provide individual assistance with moving in or out of an assignment. However, at the initial fall check-in period in August and the final check-out period in May moving bins are provided for student use.

    Before checking out, students should remove all personal belongings, including trash, from the room. Students should contact their respective Residence Hall Office for additional instructions on checking out of the residence halls. Advance authorization from Housing Services is required to cancel the Residence Hall Agreement. Additional information regarding the Opening and Closing of the residence halls is available on the Housing Services Web site.

  • Common Area Space

    Each residence hall is equipped with a common area space that is furnished for relaxation or study. At least one lounge in each building is equipped with a television set and some are outfitted with billiards or foosball tables that residential students may use by checking out equipment from the Residence Hall Office.

    Individuals or groups who would like to reserve a lounge space within the residence halls for a private function should contact Events and Conference Services. 

  • Computer Connections

    Access to ResNet, the University's high-speed residence hall network, is provided in individual student rooms. ResNet allows access to University computing resources such as Cardinal Station and webmail, and to the Internet and Internet2. All residence hall rooms are equipped with one wired port per bed space. Additionally, wireless access is available in all residence halls.

    A connection to the campus network via a wired port requires a computer with an integrated network port or an installed network card and a network cable. Wireless access requires either integrated wireless (included with most newer notebook computers), or an installed wireless card or USB network adaptor. ResNet is protected by a network registration system.

    Personal computers are recommended, but not required, as the University has several computer labs on campus for student use. Information about buying a computer can be found on the Technology Services Web site.

    The ResNet Web site provides information about computers and computer support in the residence halls.

  • Damage Charges and Room Condition

    Students should be concerned with the safety and handling of University property — in individual rooms, shared spaces and common areas — and should do their best to see that University property is not damaged or stolen and that residential communities are maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary manner. By signing a Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement, students agree that all damages to University property caused by the student or the student’s guest(s) will be repaired or replaced by the University at the expense of the student.  Students further agree that all costs for damages occurring on the floor or building will be shared equally by all students of that floor or building when individual(s) causing the damage cannot be precisely determined by the University.

    Additional information regarding cleanliness and damages may be found on the Damage Billing webpage.

    Individual Room
    Each student is responsible for the condition of his/her room and for the care of University furnishings in the room. During the check-in process, each student is given a Room Condition Report. Using the report, each student is required to thoroughly inspect and inventory his/her room, making note of any damage or issues with the condition of the room, and returned the reviewed Room Condition Report to their Residence Hall Office. Not updating a report indicates that no damage or other issues were present upon move-in. A student may contact the Residence Hall Office at any point during the academic year to review his/her Room Condition Report.

    When a student checks out of the room, a check-out appointment should be made with the Resident Assistant (RA). Using the report that was completed at check-in, the student and the RA will inspect and inventory the room together for issues, damage, and missing property. Once the inspection has been conducted, the RA will forward the completed form to the Community Director who will conduct a final inspection. If the Community Director determines that the room has been damaged beyond normal wear, or that University property is missing, he or she will assess the appropriate charges. All students of a room will share costs equally for damages that occur in their room, unless the damage can be specifically attributed to an individual(s).  By not participating in a check-out appointment, students waive the right to appeal any charges assessed by the Community Director.

    Shared Space
    Shared space is defined as any non-bedroom space shared by students of an apartment or suite. This includes, but is not limited to, kitchens, living rooms, bathrooms, and hallways. Students of apartments or suites are responsible for the proper use, care, and maintenance of the premises and furnishings. Students of apartments and suites will be expected to complete the shared space portion of their Room Condition Report at check-in. At check-out, inspections of shared space are done at the same time and in the same manner as room inspections for Individual Rooms and the same processes and rules apply.

    Common Area
    A common area is defined as any space and/or area outside a student room. This includes, but is not limited to stairwells, hallways, restrooms, lounges, elevators, entranceways, recreation areas, and study rooms. Community members share responsibility for ensuring that common areas are properly utilized. As members of the community, each student is obligated to report to the residence hall staff any destruction he/she witnesses or in which he/she is involved. 

    Students will be notified in advance of charges for common area damages and will be provided the opportunity to share any information they have with the Community Director. The Community Director will work with the students and the staff in the community to determine, if possible, who is responsible for the damage.  All costs for damages occuring on the floor or building will be shared equally by all students of that floor or building when individual(s) causing the damage cannot be precisely determined by the University. 

    Billing and Notification
    For damages that are discovered during the academic year, the cost to repair or replace University property will be posted to the account(s) of the individual(s) responsible. Each individual student will then receive notification of the charge to his/her student account via his/her University email account. Charges generally take 7-10 days to be posted to individual student accounts. MyHousing, available through Cardinal Station, includes information on housing and dining related charges only.  Billing information in MyHousing reflects current charges for all housing and dining related items. 

    Residence Hall Closing: For damages that are identified during the residence hall closings at the end of the spring semester, charges will be available in MyHousing and posted to the student account(s) of the individual(s) determined responsible by June 1. Each student will receive notification of the charges assigned to him/her as a result of damage to his/her specific room via his/her University email account. 

    A student who believes that he/she was billed incorrectly for damages may submit a formal written appeal of the charges to the Community Director, except charges for common area damages may not be appealed. All appeals must be in writing.

    For damage charges billed during the academic year the deadline to submit an appeal is 10 business days from the date that the billing notification was sent. For damage charges billed after the residence halls close in May the deadline to submit an appeal is July 1. 

    Directions for the appeal process will be included with the damage notification sent to the student's University email.  All appeals should include the student's full name and student UD number, the specific charge(s), and the specific reason (s) why the charge(s) is (are) being appealed.  Community Directors will notify the student of the decision regarding his/her appeal, normally within 10 business days of receipt of the appeal, via the student's University email account. 

  • Decorating Guidelines

    Students must abide by the University Decorating Guidelines which are published by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. The decorating guidelines provide a framework for the decoration and personalization of individual and common areas within residential facilities. In addition, they clearly define which items are allowed and how/where to place them. Decorations must be made of noncombustible materials. Specific questions about decorating should be directed to a Community Director or Housing Services.

  • Early Arrival and Late Departure

    Typical Dates of Occupancy are specified in the Residence Hall and Dining Services Agreement and advertised on the Housing Services website. On occasion, designated University groups are permitted to arrive early or depart late from the residence halls due to their respective obligations to the University. Advisers to these groups should submit a written request to Housing Services specifying desired dates of occupancy, and the names and identification numbers for the students in their respective group. Services including, but not limited to, regular custodial services, dining services, residence hall offices, residential networking, and mail delivery may not be fully available during this time. Individuals who are permitted to use alternate arrival and departure dates should also be aware that work being done to the facilities may create temporary inconveniences.

    Students who submit individual requests to arrive early or stay late to Housing Services, due to extenuating personal circumstances, and if approved, are subject to additional charges for times outside of the typical Dates of Occupancy. Students permitted to be on campus during these times may not allow others who have not been previously authorized, including guests and roommate(s), to occupy residence hall space. Unapproved individuals will be asked to leave the building and may be billed for dates in residence. All rules and regulations are applicable during times outside of the contract period.­

    Students who are interested in residing in on-campus housing during the summer term must complete a separate housing application in MyHousing.  Summer Housing information will be made available by Housing Services typically in mid-March. Additional information may be found in the Scheduled Student Recess Periods Policy (see below).

  • Furniture

    Each room is issued specific furniture, including a bed, dresser, desk and desk chair, closet or wardrobe; apartments may have additional furniture for use in the shared space, as appropriate.  All beds can be raised to a maximum height that provides a 30" clearance under the bed; this space can be used to store dressers or other personal items. For safety reasons bed risers, cinder blocks, or other materials used to raise the level of a bed are not permitted. 

    University-issued furniture that is assigned to a student's room must remain in the room, regardless of the other furniture a student may add to the room. In addition, common area furniture may not be moved to or kept in individual student rooms, so that all students may utilize the common areas.  Broken or damaged furniture should be reported to Housing Services and should remain in the room until a staff member has either repaired or replaced the item. 

    All hallways must remain clear of all personal belongings and furniture. Personal items, including bikes, sports equipment, and other items may not be left in hallways, stairwells, and common areas. The storage of furniture and other items in the hallways, common areas, and/or stairwells creates a safety hazard and may be considered a nuisance to other students. Additional information may be found in the Storage Policy. 

  • Health and Safety Inspections

    In order to maintain residential facilities that are free from health, safety and fire hazards, health and safety inspections of individual student rooms will be conducted by Residence Life and University staff no less than once each semester. Whenever possible, advance notification of these inspections will be shared with students via postings to each residential community. Students will receive notification of the inspection results, including any concerns and recommendations for remediations. Students are expected to resolve any concerns that result from a Health and Safety Inspection in the timeframe allotted. 

  • Housing Eligibility

    The Housing Eligibility policy can be found in the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page.

  • Housing Requirement for Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior Students

    The Housing Requirement can be found in the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page.

  • Housing for Senior Students

    The availability of on-campus housing for Senior Students can be found in the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page.

  • Housing for Graduate and Non-Traditional Students

    The availability of on-campus Housing for Graduate and Non-Traditional Students can be found in the Student Housing Policy on the University Policy page.

  • Keys and Building Access

    Students are issued a key that permits access to their assigned room. In specific buildings, separate keys are issued for access to an apartment, suite, or building in addition to the key for the individual bedroom. Keys are given for a student’s personal use and are not transferable. Students are advised to always lock their doors when exiting their room.

    Students who lose or temporarily misplace their keys should immediately report the loss to their Residence Hall Office. A student may borrow a loaner key from the Residence Hall Office for up to 72 hours. If the originally issued key(s) is not located by this time the key(s) will be considered permanently lost and a lock change will be authorized. Charges for lock changes, lockout/loaner keys, and key replacement will be billed to the student’s account.

    The University maintains a computerized door entry system for most residence halls. To access their assigned residence hall, students should swipe their Cardinal Card through the scanner located at the building’s entrance. For the safety and security of all residents, students should not hold or prop any door open to allow nonresidents to enter.

  • Kitchen Facilities

    Common area kitchens or kitchenettes are available in the residence halls for students personal use. Students should clean the area when they are finished and properly store and label their food. The University is not responsible for the theft or destruction of personal items. At the end of each semester, any food or personal items left in the kitchens and common refrigerators will be disposed of. The University is not responsible for the theft or destruction of personal items.

  • Laundry Facilities

    Washers and dryers are available in the residence halls for students personal use only. All laundry facilities on campus offer students washing and drying privileges at no additional charge. Students should report repair needs to Caldwell & Gregory at (800) 927-9274; be prepared to provide the specific location of the machine, the machine number, and the nature of the problem if known. Students can contact Housing Services for additional assistance. The University is not responsible for the theft or destruction of personal items. Students should not leave personal items unattended in the laundry rooms. At the end of each semester, any belongings left in the laundry rooms will be considered abandoned property and either donated to charity or disposed of.

  • Liability

    Students are strongly encouraged to have insurance to cover personal belongings. The University does not insure the personal property of any student on or off campus. The University has no responsibility for any theft, damage, destruction, loss, etc., of any personal property, including but not limited to, money, valuables, or equipment belonging to or in the custody of the student, whether caused by intentional or negligent act, failure to act, natural causes, fire, or other casualty. The University is not liable for the failure or interruption of utilities or for conditions resulting from failure or interruption of the same.

  • Pets

    The Pet Policy can be found on the University Policy page. The Service Animal Policy can be found on the University Policy page.

  • Quiet Hours

    In order to create an environment where a student's right to sleep and study is given priority, general courtesy should be exercised at all times so noise does not interfere with the rights of others.  Quiet hours are in effect between 10:00 PM and 9:00 AM on the night preceding class days and between the hours of 12:00 AM and 9:00 AM on other nights. 

    During periods designated as quiet hours, noise should not be heard outside a resident's room in any direction (though doors, ceiling, walls, windows, and floor).  In the common areas of buildings, there should be no activity that would create a general disturbance to the community. 

    During the final exam period of each semester (beginning the night of the last day of class and lasting until the end of exams), a 24-hour quiet hours policy will be in effect in all halls. 

  • Room Changes

    Housing Services and Residence Life are committed to providing a supportive and educational environment for all students in the residence halls. There may be times when a student’s living situation becomes challenging due to issues with the student’s roommate(s) or the community. Housing Services and Residence Life encourage students  to resolve differences and to grow through the roommate experience. Students may be asked to work with University staff to resolve roommate disputes before a room change is permitted.

    For administrative reasons, there is a period at the beginning of each semester when room changes will normally not be considered in order to verify occupancy and identify vacancies. In addition, it is the philsophy of Housing Services and Residence Life continual room changes can be a disruption to the formation of strong and healthy communities. Therefore, room change requests will be reviewed and approved when it is reasonable to do so at the discretion of University professional staff. 

    An administrative move may be made in a situation where students are unwilling and/or unable to come to successful resolution of a dispute or as the result of disciplinary action. All administrative moves will be made at the discretion of professional staff based on cause and availability of space.

    Students who make unauthorized room or hall changes may be required to return to their assigned space.

    Housing Services and Residence Life are unable to provide individual assistance with moving in or out of an assignment. However, at the initial fall check-in period in August and the final check-out period in May bins and/or hand trucks are provided for student use.

  • Room Entry

    Representatives of the University will enter a student's room after knocking on the door to:

    • Address maintenance needs or complete projects;
    • Assist in any emergency;
    • Re-establish order;
    • Recover any university property;
    • Prevent destruction of university property;
    • Perform health and safety inspections; or
    • Investigate alleged violations of federal, District of Columbia, or university policies, rules, or regulations.

    Before entering a residential room to address routine maintenance that was not initiated by an individual service request, the University will attempt to notify the student(s) 24 hours prior to entry. All University maintenance, custodial services, power plant, and technology services staff are required to wear identification while working inside the residence halls. Similarly, all contractors are required to wear identification while working in or around a residence hall. Contractors must be escorted by a University staff member when inside occupied residence hall rooms.

    Residence Life staff have the authority to conduct searches of rooms without the permission of students assigned to the room. Campus officials may inspect rooms as needed throughout the year to identify and address problems and concerns in the residence halls. In most areas of campus, health and safety inspections (see above) occur at least once each semester.

  • Room Maintenance and Facilities Requests

    Students are expected to maintain their living space in a manner that does not cause damage to the building or that would require extensive maintenance, repair and/or housekeeping to restore the building to a standard that is appropriate for future students. In addition, certain items and activities are prohibited because they may be harmful to students or could cause damage to the building if used inappropriately. The prohibited items and activities in this category include but are not limited to:

    • Adhesives (other than 3M Command products or those designated for use in the residence halls);
    • Bed lofts, bed risers, cinder blocks;
    • Painting of student rooms;
    • Removing screens from windows; or
    • Pets, except fish (in 10-gallon tank or smaller), and personal service animals 

    The Office of Facilities Maintenance and Operation (FMO) provides custodial and maintenance services within the residential facilities. Cleaning of public areas, including trash removal from designated areas, occurs on a regular schedule. Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, kitchens (if applicable), living rooms (if applicable), and bathrooms (if applicable), and disposing of their trash and recycling in designated areas. 

    Requests for routine services can be submitted to FMO using the work order request form available online at facilities.catholic.edu.  When entering requests, it is important to provide detailed information so the maintenance technician is fully prepared to respond to the problem.  All questions and/or concerns regarding service requests should be directed to the service center at 5121 or cua-from@cua.edu

    After-hours emergencies involving heating, lighting, plumbing, electricity, or other vital services that could impact the safety and security of the community or the structure of the facility should be immediately reported to the Resident Assistant (RA) or the RA on duty.  Students are also encouraged to immediately phone in all emergency requests to the Facilities Services Center at extension 5121 or the Department of Public Safety at extension 5111 after normal FMO business hours (Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.). 

    For ongoing concerns, repeated maintenance requests, and any other difficulties in having issues addressed students should contact Residence Life professional staff or the Residence Hall Office staff.  If a student does not report a facility concern in their room when it occurs, the student may be billed at check-out for any damage or broken items that resulted from the facility concern. 

Safety Responsibilities

It is expected that all members of the University community be active participants in the creation and maintenance of a secure and safe residential environment. Students not present in their living spaces when their guests(s) commit violations(s) of University policy or the Code of Student Conduct may be held accountable for the violation(s). 

All students, residential and non-residential, are expected to adhere to the following policies and guidelines. The following are defined as unsafe behaviors or practices in a residential community. Students found engaging in these behaviors may be subject to disciplinary action.

  • Blocking or preventing the use of room doors, hallways, exit doors and stairwells;
  • Any action which compromises the security or residents including propping open or tampering with the locking mechanism of interior or exterior doors;
  • Constructing any object or modifying the resident hall in any way that might contribute to fire hazard, physical danger or unsafe conditions;
  • Entering or misusing restricted areas such as roofs, balconies, fire escapes, attics, work rooms or storage areas;
    Possession, use or storage of flammable/combustible materials or liquids, or other heat producing materials, combustible liquids, or devices including outdoor grills*;
  • Individual or group activities that may lead to injury or destruction of property including by not limited to, ball games and sports played within the hall;
  • Removal of or damage to exit signs, emergency phones or other safety/security notices or devices;
  • Tampering with fire safety equipment such as extinguishers, smoke detectors, alarms and sprinklers;
  • Projectiles of any sort;
  • Any object or substance thrown with the potential of defacing or damaging personal or University property or causing personal injury/disruption;
  • Rappelling, climbing and/or scaling exterior walls of any residence halls;
  • Removal of screens from windows;
  • Smoking within 25 feet of any building;
  • Throwing or hanging items from windows; or
  • Use of bed lofts, bed risers, or cinder blocks.

*Outdoor grills, charcoal and lighter fluid may not be stored in residence halls. Outdoor grills may only be used 50 feet from a building. Charcoal must be cooled and appropriately disposed of in trash receptacles (not in the landscaping).

Because of the potential damage to facilities or fire hazards, and to conserve energy the following items are restricted or prohibited in all University Residence Halls. Prohibited items are subject to immediate confiscation and disposal of the item(s).

  • Hot plates, toaster ovens, space heaters and any appliance with an open heating element or coil are prohibited;
  • Halogen Lamps are prohibited;
  • Drug-related paraphernalia (e.g. bong, pipe, hookah, etc);
  • All lamps and appliances should be UL approved (indicating that the lap or appliance has passed the Underwrite Laboratories' safety requirements for use by consumers);
  • Air conditioners, except units supplied by the University, are prohibited;
  • Rooms are restricted to one room size/personal refrigerator no larger than 3.6 cu. ft. with the exception of MiniFridge with Microwave units rented through Housing Services; (see above)
  • Rooms are restricted to one microwave no more than 700 watts with the exception of MiniFridge with Microwave units rented through Housing Services; (see above)
  • Extension cords and surge protectors must be UL approved. Extension cords/plugs should not be placed under carpets, tacked or stapled. Major appliances should not be plugged into extension cords;
  • Plug adapters should be UL approved and not rated less than 125 volts/15 amperes. Residents should employ the prudent use of surge protectors to protect property from unexpected electrical damage;
  • Heavy drawing appliances (irons, hair dryers, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves) should be plugged directly into socket outlets and unplugged when not in use;
  • Cable splitters, splicers or other devices used to re-route cable outside of the room in which the cable connection is located are prohibited; (see above)
  • Satellite dishes are prohibited;
  • Hanging or placing items on ceilings is prohibited;
  • Waterbeds are prohibited; 
  • Candles and incenses are prohibited, decorative candles must have the wick cut off.
  • Hoverboards (self-balancing scooters, battery-operated scooters, hands-free segways)
  • Scheduled Student Recess Periods

    The residence halls remain open for Thanksgiving, Easter, and spring break vacations. Dining plans are not in effect during these times; students will need to arrange for meals on their own. Halls are closed during the Christmas break period and students are required to vacate their rooms. Specific hall closing information will be published and distributed prior to each closing period and will be listed on the Housing Services Web site. Please note that students must vacate halls within 24 hours of their last final exam in both fall and spring semesters or by no later than 12 p.m. on the closing date published by Housing Services; whichever comes first. 

    Additional information may be found in the Early Arrival and Late Departure Policy (see above). 

  • Service Animals

    The Service Animals Policy can be found on the University Policy page.

  • Snow Removal

    In the event that snow removal is necessary, Facilities Maintenance and Operations (FMO) will normally focus removal efforts to allow access to the dining halls from the residence halls. Students who are experiencing mobility difficulty due to the snow should contact the Facilities Service Center at extension 5121 or cua-fmo@cua.edu.  

  • Storage

    Storage space for personal possessions is not available in the residence halls. Personal belongings (including sporting equipment and bikes) should not be stored in common spaces such as lounges, hallways, or stairwells. Additionally, storage is not available on campus for excess residence hall furniture. Beds, desks, chairs, dressers, wardrobes, mattresses and other university items may not be removed from rooms, apartments, or suites. Residents will be charged the full replacement cost of furniture not in his/her room upon check-out. For storage of personal possessions Housing Services provides information regarding a storage vendor, Collegeboxes, that works with the university community. Collegeboxes has exclusive rights to provide storage and shipping of residential items; other companies will not be authorized to market, solicit, or provide this service on campus. In addition, all storage pods and containers are prohibited on campus.

    Additional information may be found in the Furniture Policy (see above).

  • Temporary and Extended Housing

    There are times when the number of students who require on-campus housing exceeds the available housing space. When this occurs, students are assigned to temporary accommodations. It is the goal of Housing Services to reassign students from these assignments as quickly as possible; this practice helps residents become settled in a permanent location and returns temporary accommodations to the community for use. Those students assigned to temporary or extended accommodations will be notified prior to their arrival for check-in. 

  • Vacancies and Consolidation of Space

    Each semester a number of students find themselves without a roommate for a variety of reasons. Students living in multiple occupancy rooms (doubles, triples, suites, quads, and apartments) where vacancies exist should expect a new roommate at any time during the year. Students living in multiple occupancy rooms where vacancies exist are required to ensure that the space is clean and continually available for a new roommate.

    At times, students may be given the option to buy out the vacant space for an additional fee. Generally, this option is not available during the fall semester. 

    Housing Services reserves the right to implement consolidation to allow for full utilization of residential facilities. This requires that a student living in a double, triple, or quad occupancy room move to another room, accept a roommate assigned by Housing Services, or find another roommate to move into the vacant space. Should consolidation be implemented, affected students will receive notification.

  • Visitation in the Residence Halls

    University policy on guests and visitation endeavors to maintain the security, privacy and community atmosphere of the residence halls. This policy exists to help students maintain a living environment that supports academic success and personal well-being. The visitation policy defines guests and visitation hours for the University residence halls, outlines expectations for appropriate behaviors of residence hall visitors and defines the responsibilities of each student host.


    A. Guest means any individual who is not a resident of the residence hall and/or room in which he/she is present. This includes any University student who lives in another residence hall or off-campus and any individual who is not an enrolled student at the University.

    B. Visitation Hours:

    Guests are permitted to visit in student rooms, lounges, lobbies/entryways and study areas on weekdays (Sunday through Thursday) from 10:00 a.m. until midnight and on weekends (Friday and Saturday) from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m., provided that the visits are consistent with this policy.

    Visitation hours for student rooms on University Reading Days and semester final exam periods will be 10:00 a.m. until midnight daily.

    Visitation hours may be extended the day of an official University holiday.


    Positive engagement and student interaction in the residential community supports the academic and social development of students and serve as a means through which men and women can contribute to one another's education while forming genuine friendships. To support an atmosphere conducive to academic achievement and positive community interaction, the following standards are in place for visitation in the residence halls:

    1. Guest visits should be of limited duration regardless of the time of day. In consideration of roommates and other building residents, it is important that visits not infringe on another's right to privacy, sleep and quiet student space. Roommates are expected to discuss and approve any overnight guest, prior to the guests' arrival to campus. The right of a student to live in reasonable privacy takes precedence over the privilege of his or her roommate to host a guest in the room. A roommate should not be compelled to leave the room to accommodate a guest, nor should he/she be placed in situations that might cause embarrassment or inconvenience. If the presence of a guest infringes on the rights of the roommate or other building residents, the guest will be required to leave the residential facility.
    2. Hosts are responsible for ensuring that their guest signs in and out with the hall monitor. Failure to sign out guests will result in a referral for disciplinary action. Guests must be hosted by a current resident of the residence hall, and the host resident must accompany their guests at all times. Resident hosts may be held personally accountable for damages and/or violations of University policy by their guests.
    3. Students who reside in the same residence hall may visit with one another in lounges, lobbies/entryways and study areas of the building 24 hours per day. Students may not sleep overnight in any common area of a residential building.
    4. Guests are expected to abide by all University policies at all times, regardless of the conduct of others. Laws and University policies authorize only certain persons to use specific campus locations for certain purposes and at certain hours in order to ensure an appropriate living environment and the safety of our students and guests. All students and guests must comply with all such laws and policies at all times, and one student's or guest's failure to do so does not excuse another student's or guest's noncompliance. So, for example, while one student's violation of residence hall visitation hours may affect that student's reasonable expectation of privacy, it does not affect any other student's obligation to comply with University visitation and conduct rules or the University's right to discipline any student who violates law or University policy. The University reserves the right to remove a guest from the residence halls if the guest's behavior is considered contrary to the goals and objectives of the University, as judged by a residence life staff member or by the Department of Public Safety.
    5. Guests are only permitted to use community restrooms designated for their sex.
    6. On occasion, a University student may host an overnight visitor who is not affiliated with the University. Overnight visitors must be at least 18 years of age, must be of the same sex as his/her host, and are normally not permitted to stay on campus for more than two consecutive nights. Overnight visits should be limited and infrequent. Overnight guests are required to register with residence hall staff and obtain a guest pass. The guest must carry picture ID and University guest pass with him/her at all times while on campus.
    7. Babysitting is not permitted in the residence halls, except for the children of live-in professional staff and faculty in their assigned residential space.
    8. The University affirms that sexual relationships are designed by God to be expressed solely within a marriage between husband and wife. Sexual acts of any kind outside the confines of marriage are inconsistent with the teachings and moral values of the Catholic Church and are prohibited by the University's Code of Student Conduct. An overnight visit with a sexual partner is prohibited as this type of behavior is incompatible with the mission of the University as well as with the rights of roommates and community members to live in an appropriate and comfortable environment.