The Catholic University of America strongly believes in the benefits that on-campus living has to offer to our students in terms of academic success, personal development and involvement within the campus community.

As such, Catholic University requires that all full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students live in on-campus housing for the first six semesters of enrollment (to include fall and spring semesters only).  Considerations will be made for students who reside with a parent or legal guardian within 20 miles of the main campus, are 23 years of age or older, and transfer students who have completed 6 semesters of residency at a previous institution.  Students who fall under the foregoing exceptions do not need to request an exemption to the on-campus residency requirement.

Students who would like to request an exemption to the Student Housing Policy for the 2023-2024 academic year should submit the Residency Exemption Request Form by February 3, 2023.  Beginning February 27, 2023, Housing Services will need to focus on the phases of the Room Selection Process.  Submitting an exemption request by February 3, 2023, ensures a determination will be made by February 27, 2023.  Requests submitted after February 3, 2023, may not be reviewed with a determination until after the Room Selection Process has been completed (early April 2023). 

Students subject to the on-campus residency requirement who do not qualify for one of the exceptions outlined in the Student Housing Policy may seek an exemption to the residency requirement by submitting a request below for reasons such as: 

Status Description Supporting Documentation
Commuter Student lives with a parent or legal guardian within 20 miles of the Catholic University campus.  Owning a secondary residence within 20 miles of campus does not satisfy this requirement. Address must be established prior to initial enrollment.  If the parent/guardian's primary address has changed since initial enrollment, the student should submit the Residency Exemption Address Verification Form
Married Student is legally married. Official copy of the marriage license.
Age Student has reached the age of 23 years prior to the first day of classes for the fall semester. Date of birth is established prior to initial enrollment. 
Financial Hardship Student has experienced a recent and unforeseen financial hardship that significantly impacts their ability to attend the University.  Financial savings is not considered a valid reason for financial hardship. Please review the Statement of Financial Responsibility

Personal Statement and supporting documentation explaining unforeseen change in finances. 

Housing Services may consult with the Office of Financial Assistance. 

Disability/Medical Student has a diagnosed disability or condition and it has been determined by the Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) through an interactive process that a student's needs cannot be reasonably accommodated within on-campus housing.  Student must: 1). submit an online Housing Accommodation Request Form with the Office of Disability Support Services (DSS), 2). provide DSS with Supportive Documentation, and 3). participate in an Intake meeting with DSS staff as described and outlined on the Housing Accommodations page of the DSS website.
Live with Family Member Student lives with a family member other than their parent/legal guardian at an address within 20 miles of campus not established prior to initial enrollment.  Completed Residency Exemption Address Verification Form

Students will need to upload the appropriate documentation when completing the exemption request form.  Once the request form and supporting documentation have been received, Housing Services will review the request and either approve, deny, or ask for additional information. This decision will be communicated to the student via their University email account.  

If approved for an exemption, any housing applications on file will be cancelled.  If the student already has a confirmed room assignment, they will be subject a housing cancellation fee as detailed in the Cancellation of Housing Policy.  Please refer to the Student Housing Policy for more information regarding the Student Housing Requirement.